2007/07/01

My trip to Ikea

So yesterday at about half elevenish, me, my mum and my dad set out to go to Ikea.

My dad always hates going there for some reason and yesterday was no different, he takes a different route to the one I take though, I pass by Sahib Auto's and Ace Cafe but that is my dad's second route. Anywho, I digress, yesterday, we were going my dad's normal way and there was a fire and thus there was a lot of traffic. Funny, it was raining so much and we were put off by fire, you would think the fire would have dampened the flames. Anywho, we went the other way to Ikea and we had to park like ten million miles away, me and my dad ran into the shop and my mum was cantering behind (she had on heels and she runs funny). Got in and after some initial confusion re. whether or not to take a bag from the darling man at the front of the shop and whether or not to go upstairs first and then downstairs, we were off. Mother saw some sexy plates which I too fell in love with, dad as usual tried to jolly us along but we were having none of it and after a good 20 minutes circulating around an area no bigger than 4 by 4 metres squared, we left the plates alone, our bag still empty (plates were too large and wouldn't fit in the cupboards and I wanted a black one as opposed to the white ones mi madre wanted and as they weren't selling those, the whole search was rather redundant). Then we moved onto the cups, these cups have been the apple of my eye for an age, they are stackable and have this excellent cut in the bottom so when they are upside down, the water slides off, 19p each! Six were thrown into the bag with much apprehension re. breakages, until we saw a cardboard thingy much like the wine boxes you get in Sainsbury's. The boxes were in a crate that priced them up at 99p each, me not being one to pay for something which isn't really needed, chucked it back into the crate. We minced on to glasses and they had these in abundance, my dad asked the lady who worked there if the cardboard thingies were free and joy to the world, they were! The glasses were boxed up real quick. The utensils section was skimmed over as "you can get them much cheaper in Southall" and we moved onto more plates. This time the hunt was successful as after yet more agonising, we finally found six clear glass plates (we have small bowls at home that match them perfectly), in the bag they went.



Traipsed around for a bit looking for (on a first come, first served basis):

  • A clock

  • A rug

  • Curtain rails and "finials" (the little knobs on the end)

  • Pillows

The clock section was lovely, found a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge clock which I am definately going to purchase, the rug section was a bit lax and for the life of us we couldn't find the curtain accessories. So, off to pillow land (on the dreaded second floor). Enter the lift and tis like a spaceship, the lights are funky and play tricks with your mind, tis the most unnatural kinda light in the world in there, I kept babbling about something and you could see out of the lift. After battling past the kiddy section on the first floor, we got to pillows and duvets. They had some sexy pillows but in the end I settled for an old favourite, it was so tightly packed into the bag that it came in that it allowed me and my dad to have a decent duel in the middle of the shop floor. This man followed us around the whole store, perv. Anywho, once the pillow was bought we headed for the curtain section, which couldn't find anywhere, this is where my memory gets a bit hazy as I saw some very sexy cupboards (which I will buy if Habitat don't get their fingers outta their arses) and a sexy desk chair (also to be duly purchased). I think we went back to the ground floor and found the curtain stuff, I didn't measure the size of my curtain rail (though I have never had any complaints so far hehe) so I couldn't get that, but I did succeed in getting some curtain stoppers (very kindly made by the people living in the People's Republic of China).

Mum spotted a hook which was for heavy loads (heh, oh the jokes me and my dad had over that) and so I decided to get a differing hook for the back of my door as what I have on there currently is pissing people off so bad, though I don't mind it. Off to the canvasses..

They had a very sexy canvas of NYC in black and white with only the taxis being yellowy orange, that too shall be purchased once my room is completed. There was also a sexy bookcase which needs to be mounted to a wall, that too shall be purchased if my cupboards ever show up, damn you!

Off we went to pay, this woman in the queue next to ours had a bajillion little things in her trolley, twas jam packed I tells thee..so we got into the other queue and were done even before she was. No carrier bag was given but my mum had the insight to take a Sainsbury's bag for life and so most of our stuff went in there, the cups and plates were still in that cardboard carrier and we wrapped it up and we were off. The rain had subsided, I was shattered but we still had to trek to Greenford to purchase some clothes for my mum's friends from India and I had a Boots voucher which needed redeeming.

The next entry into this blog will chronicle my journey from the North Circular to Greenford via the back roads of Kingston and Harrow and it really is not for the faint-hearted hehehe.

No comments: