2007/11/07

Names

Isn't it funny how some names stick?

I was reading Home by Julie Myerson the other day and she mentioned a pink house and how it never had any other name.

This got me to thinking, in my Grandmother's house she had a side room within which was placed her sewing machine. I have lived in that house for about 7 ish years and that room had always housed the machine.

Now to most people this was simply a side room but only those in our family call it by its true name, the machine room.

My grandparents have had that house since 1980 and the machine has always been in that one room, had they placed it somewhere else, what would we have called the room?

Everyone knows that that room is the machine room, as soon as someone mentions the word machine room I see myself as a little kid playing on the computer (which had tapes instead of CD's) whilst watching my mother sew. It conjures up a lot of memories for me, my aunt coming home from work and eating her City sandwiches whilst we measured up her wedding outfit.

They also have an extension on that house, it is a conservatory but we call it the glassroom because you can see out of it on all sides. This too evokes many a memory, it was here that my grandmother got bitten on the stomach by a wayward bumblebee, it was here that me and my cousins first played foosball.

No comments: