2007/12/12

Rinse cycle

I've had my current washing machine for a while now but I never ever figured out how to just put the clothes on rinse after having washed them, I always thought you had to just super rinse them once you had finishing washing.

Recently, I've had a lot of washing to do, mainly because I was lazy this weekend gone and thus have three weeks backlog of Simon's stuff to wash (tis a glamorous life).

I've been really busy at work this week but today I made the resolution that I would wash all his clothes that he had worn in America so I got home from work, got into my pj's and wacked all his clothes into the washing machine. The only problem with this was the fact that he had a lot of clothes as he went to work, wore clothes around the hotel and then also went out, this adds up to a maximum of three changes a day as he sleeps in his boxers (God bless that body of his..man, the fun a girl can have..).

The washing machine can only take 6kg washes at a time and I've never measured how many clothes this is although an indicator is given in the manual (which by the way, is really crap as I figured out everything this machine does by myself). I know roughly how much you can put in there and I normally stick to it but today was no normal day as I had a mission.

So, I chucked all his clothes in the machine, struggled with the machine door, put in the fabric softner (concentrate..very conscious of our carbon footprint are we) and the Persil and whacked the door shut.

One hour and 32 minutes later (extra time for the super rinse, normally tis one hour 23) the clothes are ready to come out. I'm waiting there with my washing basket so I can hang them out in the conservatory area (they will dry because of how cold it is outside) and the clothes come out soaking wet. Well, that's a lie actually, the clothes nearest the front were closest to being freshly washed and rinsed, the middle bunch were wet and the poor sods at the back were soaking..and to top it off, a pair of my kecks had lodged themselves in the plastic/rubber tubing you get at the front of the machine. That reminds me, that isn't the first time that has happened, once the machine jammed and when the repairman came around he found a pair of my pants clogging up the pipe which is funny because my pants aren't even that big. What was even funnier was the fact that I wasn't home when he called, Simon was. I was laughing about that for months after, Simon went red in the face when handed the pants and negated to tell the dude that he actually had a wife who lived in the house and wore women's pants (as one would do). I doubt the dude would have believed him though as for some reason, that whole batch of washing contained my unmentionables and Simon's clothes..no other women's clothing. I think I might get one of those bags you can put in your washing machine and just chuck the kecks in there so they don't get lost..but I worry that might not clean them properly. I could wash by hand but that takes too long and I don't have that much time. I only wash the ones you are meant to wash, the super super super super super expensive, keep for a special occasion pairs.

Anyway, as usual I digress. The clothes were wet and I wasn't happy so I fiddled with a few buttons and pressed one shaped like an arrow which had a little light next to it and some symbols. When it was on (what I assume was) the rinse button (the light next to the symbol came on) I decided to try my luck. How did I know this was the rinse button? Well, I thought a rinse wouldn't take long and when I had the light on my newly found rinse button, a number came up on the screen..16 (I found out later that this was a very high number as you can do a normal load in about 12), the other buttons produced much bigger numbers (some even going back into the hours!) so I knew that I had found the baby.

The clothes were rinsed on the highest spin cycle setting (once I'd done a test batch on a lower setting) and they came out super dry.

I was so impressed with myself that I phoned my Mum to tell her that I'd cracked the old rinse mystery and now I have to go show her how to do it.

I've always wanted to know how to do the rinsing because I hate going out in the winter to hang my washing up but now I can just put it on super rinse and most of the stuff comes out pretty dry. It's better than putting it in a dryer too as the washing machine doesn't shrink stuff.

God, I'm fast becoming the domestic goddess I loathed as a child and that my mother wished I would one day become.

No comments: