2008/01/07

The Post Xmas and New Year Slump

I never understood until today why this time of the year is so depressing.

Well I say today, I mean last Friday. I went to stay at my cousin's house for the first week of the new year and only when we were driving back home did we realise how bleak and grey January really was. I think it is one of the worst times to be alone, I was surrounded by people I loved on that journey home and even I felt a twinge of depression.

It's funny and equally sad how quickly people go back into normal mode after Christmas, two weeks ago it was Christmas Eve and there was definitely something festive and cheery in the atmos, now two weeks later everyone is back to normal.


It took me 23 years to realise why this time of year is so depressing, the "excitement" of Christmas (which for adults means stuffing your face and getting pissed as a fart) has well and truly gone and we are left with nothing to look forward to where the whole country can bunk off collectively. Sure you get birthdays and parties but it feels different because you can't share your antics with people. It sounds strange but even people on the tube are nicer around Xmas time and I am sure that pushing and shoving is down by about 40%.


I'm back at work today and I feel so depressed man, even though it is kinda sunny outside (it is still freezing mind) and the husband isn't too far away either. I'm just thinking, if I feel this depressed, how must the children feel? But then when I was a kid I never ever got a January slump, we were back to school showing off our new toys that we got for Xmas.


I feel depressed even though my life is peachy by standards, I have the sexiest husband in the world, I have a decent job, I have no Xmas debt and things are looking up on the promotion front but still I feel a twinge of sadness (it's probably because I know I can't bunk off work early and use Xmas shopping as an excuse).


Is this sense of depression what the shepherds envisioned when they saw the stars in the sky?


Man, roll on summer! Though it seems like it was only here a few months ago, which it was..I sometimes wish that there were more seasons in the year.

No comments: